Thursday, August 17, 2017

July 4th

D&C 101:36 "Wherefore, fear not even unto death; for in this world your joy is not full, but in me your joy is full."

This week has been very, very fun. So, before I share all the things that we did this week I want to say something really quick about joy. I learned a lot about it this week because we had such a fun time. But while we did all these fun activities the joy I felt didn't come even close to the joy that I've found in Jesus Christ.

In learning about him and his Gospel and serving our brothers and sisters in the mission field I've experienced a joy that the "world" cannot give. I was surprised to see that I was left feeling relatively unsatisfied after activities that used to fill my "joy tank" you could say. I know it's because now I've experienced a fuller joy. One that is found in reading and following the word of God written in the scriptures. One found in loving your fellow man. And most of all one that is found in my personal relationship with my savior, Jesus Christ.
       
So anyway, here's what happened.

The first day of the week was a P-day, it was a real special one too because the whole zone went to the Mission Presidents home to play foosball and basketball and ping pong and volleyball and all that good party stuff.

The next day for the 4th of July we had a ward party in a big park right next to Mt. Vernon Manor right on the Potomac river. We just ate food and chilled and played soccer for literally 5 hours. It made for a great 4th of July, we didn't watch a fire work show but we saw them on our drive home.
       
On Thursday we had a lesson with our most progressing investigator in a members home. It was my companions birthday so they brought a cake up and started telling me to throw it in my companions face! They did it in a really sneaky way and so my companion couldn't understand what they were saying but I didn't know what he'd do if I did it. And I will not sacrifice comp unity for ANYTHING. So I made probably the most impulsive and immature decision of my mission and pretended to go for my companion and turned and just plastered the member right in the face with this cake. Thus commenced a cake war between this member and us and our investigator. Not gonna lie it felt good to throw some cake at some people and just be a child again for a moment haha, I'm still in the process of getting the stains out of my shirt though.
       
Now on Saturday we had a baptism in our church. We got there about 45 minutes before it started and realized that the other Elders (whose baptism it was) hadn't started filling up the font yet, and this particular font takes 4 hours to fill. So we got it going and decided we'd better grab some buckets! So we ran to the kitchen and found this huge pot and just started running buckets and pots and empty trash cans full of water from the kitchen and bathrooms to the font. The sisters helped us out and to make a long story short we filled up the font in 38 minutes. We were absolutely drenched in sweat and our suits (as well as the floor of the church) were soaking wet but it was worth it.
       
After the baptism our ward hosted this awesome activity about the Plan of Salvation and basically the whole ward came. We got some investigators there and just had a ton of fun running our mini games and then later teaching our assigned kingdoms and Gospel topics. My companion was in another area at another baptism so I had to do everything solo but it was actually really fun. It was a super spiritual, cool experience and it was awesome to have some investigators go and to also strengthen member relationships.
       
Today was just as great, after playing basketball we went and got some Philly cheese steaks and then went to the Pentagon City Mall. It's a pretty crazy big mall. It also has a sweet view of the Pentagon and the Washington monument. My boy Elder Cottle and I tried to take a selfie with it. So we had some fun there and then came back to chill and play some pool. And thus ends one of the craziest weeks of my mission.

Believe it or not I actually left a whole lot out but I just don't have time to type it all up and it would very likely bore you. So I got the big stuff ;)

I didn't get too many pictures but here's what I have.
       
I love you all :) Keep praying, keep reading, and start writing me ;D LOVE YOU.
Elder Brunsdale




No comments:

Post a Comment